"…there is another sort of strings, which they call Pistoy basses, which I conceive are none other than thick Venice-Catlins, which are commonly dyed, with a deep dark red colour.”
(Thomas Mace “Musick’s Monument” London 1676)
The appearing of wound strings caused, starting from the end of the 17th century, the definitive abandoning of the ancient manufacturing techniques of the traditional all-gut bass strings.
This explains why modern plain gut strings fail to produce an acceptable acoustical performance in the low registers, thus making it unavoidable to use wound strings for musical repertoires that actually pre-date their historical appearing; this, in turn, causes an obvious philological paradox as well as serious tone and balance problems between high and low registers, especially on Lutes.
Some considerations suggests the idea that gut bass strings were made densier: the loading of gut, a technological strategy that we believe employed by the old stringmakers in order to have the Lute bass strings much more performant.
The Aquila CDL bass strings are smooth synthetic loaded strings characterized by a high, standardized specific weight, achieved by a loading extruding process with very thin metallic copper powder (No mercury or lead compounds are involved in the process).
The CDL type strings are suggested for long diapasons in middle-length neck extensions of theorbos and archlutes. The glazed surface is similar to the rectified natural gut.
The strong, warm and percussive tone, without the excessive brightness typical of a modern wound string, is perfectly consistent with the tone and dynamics character of the higher strings, whether they are gut or synthetic strings.
These strings offer an excellent tuning stability: far better than any plain gut, synthetic or wound string available today.
- STRING: Synthetic string
- COLOUR: RED(ish)
- MATERIALS: Synthetic material loaded with very thin metallic copper powder
- LENGTH: 150cm.
- GAUGES: from 0.90 to 1.80
- EQUIVALENCE: Diameters are expressed in equivalent solid gut (i.e. a Aquila CDL 0.90 is equivalent to 0.90 mm gut string).
- DIAMMETER: Please notice that even though the CD strings follow a gut-equivalent naming convention, the actual string diameter is smaller. Please, refer to our string diammeters panel to know more information.
- SETUP: Due to their lower density, the diameters of the CD strings are larger than the corresponding wound strings – under the same tension and frequency. Therefore it may be necessary to widen the holes on the bridge, but and pegs to a certain extent.
- DESIGNED FOR: CDL strings are the recommended option in cases like the fifth course of single strung instruments (that have high tensions, such as theorbo or chitarrone).
RELATED BLOG POSTS
AQUILA CD BASSES (120cm)
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 0.90||150cm||€10,30|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 0.95||150cm||€11,40|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.00||150cm||€11,40|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.05||150cm||€11,40|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.10||150cm||€11,40|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.15||150cm||€12,20|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.20||150cm||€12,20|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.25||150cm||€12,20|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.30||150cm||€12,20|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.35||150cm||€12,20|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.40||150cm||€12,80|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.45||150cm||€12,80|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.50||150cm||€12,80|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.55||150cm||€12,80|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.60||150cm||€12,80|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.65||150cm||€12,80|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.70||150cm||€12,80|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.75||150cm||€12,80|
|Aquila Loaded Bass CDL 1.80||150cm||€12,80|